Saturday, January 7, 2012

Ice baths and footprints in the snow

Because I will be traveling a lot the next 2 weeks I decided to do my 14 miler today so I wouldn't have to do it on the road next week.  I ran up to the "starting point" did 10 with the running girls then ran home. When I woke up there was snow on the ground so and I really really really wanted to crawl back in bed.  But there is just no way to fit this run in so I was determined to get 'er done.  About 1/2 mile into my run I saw a lone pair of footprints in the snow.  It totally gave me the motivation I needed. I don't know how far or how fast the owner of those footprints was going and I don't care.  They put a smile on my face and I knew that I wasn't the only crazy one out today on a cold, dark, snowy morning.  

When I got home my joints were hurting so despite how cold I was I decided to take an ice bath.  HOLY COW!  It was so dang cold.  I just used the ice from my freezer and a big frozen block of pebble ice that never melted all the way.  The girls were in the bathroom asking if they could get in and I told them to put a finger in the water to see if they really wanted to take an ice bath with me.  The answer was "no wonder you're freaking out mom".  Ha ha ha.  It was the longest 10 minutes ever.  But at least my knees and ankles felt better after it was done.  



This weeks total mileage:  37 miles

1 comment:

  1. Seriously Kathy, just thinking of taking an ice bath is crazy! But I'm glad that it helps.

    ReplyDelete