I saw this running tag a while ago on HungryRunnerGirl's blog and I thought it looked fun. I never had time to do it but today I finally got around to it. Enjoy.
1. On average how many races do you run a year?
4 or 5 normally. But this year I am doing 9 or 10. And it's wearing me out a bit. Back in 2009 I set a goal to do a race a month and did 12 races that year which was also a bit overwhelming. I think for me 4 is the perfect number of races.
Races I've done so far....
|Boston Marathon- April 2013|
|Pink Series 5K - April 2013|
|Utah Valley Half Marathon - June 2013|
|Ragnar Relay - June 2013|
2. Head accessories, things you have to run with: a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?
I'm at hat girl these days. My hair is just so short. I own lots of headbands and visors but with morning hair the hat is really the best option. I usually forget to wear sunscreen and I put chapstick on before a long run but I rarely carry it with me.
3. Where do your workouts come from? A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?
I love training plans - really I love them. I look online and read books and read articles then write them up on paper. I have done so many different training plans over the years and have combined different ones and created my own. Once I have my training plan down I schedule my weekly workouts in my calendar so that I always have it on my phone. I might be slightly OCD when it comes to plans. Right now I am following the SmartCoach plan from Runner's World. I really like the plan because I feel like it has pushed me to run faster while still working with my weekly mileage needs and current pace.
|St George Marathon course map with my gu's, times, elevation change, etc.|
4. How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes?
I have way too many running shoes and I usually rotate through 3-4 pair at a time. I have a pair for speedwork a pair for running off roads and then a few pair for just runs. I always wear my newest shoes on long runs. I don't track exactly how many miles I put on each pair but I would guess 300-400 miles.
5. Cell phone= do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?
Always if I'm running alone and sometimes on group runs. I bring my phone if I think I'm going to want to snap a picture mid-run or if my kids might need to call me.
|You never know when you'll want to snap a pic.|
6. What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner?
I am a pretty injury free runner - if you take out losing toe nails, blisters, falling and stuff like that. I do a lot to prevent injuries. I get deep tissue massage every other week during heavy training. I do ice baths and advil and Udo's oil which all help me with recovery and I try really hard to listen to my body and stop before it's too bad.
7. Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!?
8. Speedwork—-> at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?
I do speedwork once a week on the treadmill. I alternate between tempo runs and mile intervals and occasionally I will do HIIT workouts that I find online to mix it up.
9. Stretching after a run: hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?
I do a little bit of stretching right when I finish a run and if it's a really hard or long run I do an ice bath after. I also love to use my roller or my stick at night for sore muscles.
10. What was your reason(S) for starting to run?
I started running in high school just because my sister ran. Then I gave it up then I started again in college. I have way more reasons for running now then I did then but really the main reason I started was because of Sherry.
|Danny, Sherry and I - STG marathon 2012|