Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Winter Running Gear

It was 22 degrees this morning when I left my house for a 5 mile run.  Brrrrrrrrr. I run outside as much as I can in the winter because I really don't love treadmill running.  Anyways.....here is some info on how I dress to stay warm while running in freezing temperatures.

On today's run I wore a long sleeve shirt and a fleece jacket on top.  My Adidas supernova fleece lined running tights with extra warm running gloves (they have a cool wind breaker mitten that goes over the glove) and a hat. It took a few miles before my legs warmed up. It might have been a little warmer with a tank under my long sleeved shirt or maybe a more fitted shirt so my tummy wouldn't have been so cold.  The hard part with too many layers is that I feel constricted and if I sweat too much then I get even colder.

Here are my guidelines for what I wear at what temperatures. 

55 degrees - this is tank top & shorts weather for me!!  The sweet spot for me is actually 53 degrees (perhaps I'm a bit OCD to know this is my exact favorite temperature for running).  

45-55 - capri's with a tank and sleeves.  I love my sleeves!!  Sometimes I'll throw on my fun stretchy gloves if it's closer to 45 degrees as well.  I also like to wear a bandana to cover the top of my ears.

35 - 45 - light running tights or even my capri's if the sun is out and a long sleeve shirt with my very favorite stretchy gloves.  And to keep my head warm a headband that completely covers my ears.

30-35 - cold weather running tights a short sleeve shirt and long sleeve shirt.  A headband for my ears and stretchy gloves.  Sometimes instead of tights I will wear bike shorts with a loose running pant.  

20-30 - long sleeves with a running jacket and either my fleece lined pants or capris with my loose pants over them to keep my quads and buns warm.  A warm hat is a must at this temperature as well as warmer gloves.  I hate it when my fingers never warm up on a run. I usually wear my smart wool socks when it's this cold out to keep my toes warm too.  

I hate running if it's under 18 degrees.  I don't remember why but at some point we decided that was our low point for running outside and if it's that cold it's treadmill time.  I have run in single digits a few times but that was only for races never just to go run. 


The Earn Your Turkey Run 2010
It was 7 degrees when I ran and when my kids ran it was 12 degrees!!! 
I love that Sophie is wearing her snow boots!
  

What a cold cold morning this run was too! 
I don't remember the temp but we all had frost on our eyelashes


Just a note:  I run a bit hot and some of the girls I run with are always 1 layer more than me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kathy! My goal this year is to keep running through the winter as long as I can. Now to invest in some winter running clothes...

    ReplyDelete