Monday, August 27, 2012

Recovering from a long run

After Saturday's 20 miler I knew I had a long full day ahead of me (my brother was moving, lots of laundry to be done and I had lots of shopping to do) and that I wasn't going to be able to just lay in bed reading like my body wanted to.  So I made sure to do my full recovery routine.  

1.  Protein drink (at least 30 g of protein)
2. Udo's Oil
3. Gatorade (this helps my tummy not cramp the rest of the day)
4. Ice bath - this time I did it different than I ever have before.  I filled 2 tubs one with hot water and one with ice water and did 5 min hot - 5 min cold - 5 min hot - 5 min cold.  I think it worked better than a straight 10 min ice bath.
5. Roller - focusing on my hips and hamstrings
6.  Compression socks
7. Flip flops - there is no way I could get my feet into closed toe shoes







I think it worked - because I was tired but not sore the rest of the day.  And yesterday I wasn't sore at all.  Today was a 9 mile run and even though I felt like I got hit by a truck since I slept horrible last night my legs felt good.  I didn't have "flat tire" legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment