Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Boston Marathon - Before


I wanted to do a full write up of my feelings of the Boston Marathon before the bombs went off.  I'll post another one on that subject later.  But I want to remember the marathon for what it was to me during the race and how it was for me.  I worked so hard to get to this race and refuse to let that be taken away. 

Boston truly is a race unlike any other.  I haven't done that many marathons - this was my 4th but the way the city rallies around the race and those running is amazing.  Everyone I talked to in Boston was happy for me and excited that I was here running. 



We headed for Boston Commons at 6:20 to catch the bus and head up to Athlete's village.  I am amazed at how many people were running this race. 


Me, Jen, Sherry and Danny on the bus


Athlete's village.
There were 3 huge sections with tents, food, first aid, water, & lots and lots of porta potties

My little brother Danny and I before he headed off to run with wave 1.  

Thanks Delta for keeping me warm at the start of the race :)

Running the race with my sister and brother was awesome.  This was pretty much the last time I saw them since they are both very speedy but knowing we were all there was so much fun.

I ran in wave 2 corral 9. 
You leave athlete's village when it's time to head over for your wave start and walk 0.7 mile to the starting line.  There wasn't a gun that went off or anything by my wave and corral.  We just made our way to the front until it was time to start running.  Then we crossed the pad and the marathon started.

I ran the whole race with my friend Sarah

For several miles I could hear people cheering my name and when I looked around I found a friend with my same name.  I loved running with Kathy and we even texted each other after the race to make sure all was well.  I loved how friendly every single runner was and the new friends I made.

 Just running along the course having a good time.  Look at the side lines just packed with people - it was like that for 26.2 miles. 

At the top of heartbreak hill (which really was heartbreaking).  I loved the crowds on the hill - they were so loud and fun.  Boston College knows how to party.

It was a happy time when I saw the Citgo sign.  



Powering thru to the finish line

 Hooray we did it!!  I am now an official Boston Marathon Finisher!!!
I finished in 3:56 - not my best nor my worst time.  But very happy with everything about this race and being a part of something so amazing.



Sarah was smarter than me and had her name on her shirt - if you ever run this race put your name on your shirt big and bright.  You won't regret it!!

My amazing cheer leaders!


My inspiration and I after the race.  I would never have run Boston without her.  I've talked about my big sister so many times on this blog and she really is the reason I started running, set my goal, made my goal and did this race.  Thanks Sherry!!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time, which is awesome! Congrats on finishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you. This is such an incredible accomplishment. I love that you met another Kathy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! I am so proud of all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy for you Kathy! What a phenomenal accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete