Monday, March 28, 2011

A half-marathon

I have issues with training plans. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them and have a hard time being flexible once I have one. Last month I started our official training for the Wasatch Back race from their website - the girls and I run 4 days a week instead of 6 so I cut out 2 of the runs and put the training in a calendar. I printed it out and am obsessed with checking off runs. Saturday's scheduled run was 12 miles. No-one was feeling like running that far so I figured out a way I could run 12 and they could run 8. I ran from my house to the meeting place we were going to do our 8 mile loop then I would run home. Perfect. Except that the run to and from ended up being about 2.2 miles and our loop was closer to 9 miles because we didn't turn around at the right place since no-one had a garmin on. I was wearing my nike + so I had information at exact mile spots but that was it. I hit 12 miles when I was still out quite a bit (1.1 miles to be exact) I thought it would be great to walk it in and let my legs relax a bit. But it was too cold to walk so I ended up running the entire way. When I got to my street and turned off my nike + it said 13.1 miles. I loved that it was exactly a half marathon and smiled even more that my time was 2 minutes faster than 2 of my previous halves. Even with walking a few times. I love that as I've learned how to train I'm getting faster even in my old age.

I was so exhausted the rest of the day that my poor kids and hubby had to do everything. I even took a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment