Saturday, March 12, 2011

First 10 miler of 2011

I ran my first 10 miler for the year. Honestly it seems early in the year to be putting in this many miles. Maybe the training program I'm doing is out of my comfort zone. It's funny how from year to year I forget what I need to do for different length runs. I took 3 electrolyte pills, decided to try one of those new Gatorade prime drinks (a little too sweet but I felt good at the start of the run), packed an Accel gel and some honey stinger chews in my hand-held bottle put on my nano and off I went. There were 4 of us doing 10 miles - thank goodness for awesome tough girls to get me through long runs (fine and short runs too). We walked a bit and did our gels and water at mile 5 then I took a few chews at mile 8 1/2 to get me to the end feeling strong.

The run felt good and it's always nice to start my Saturday off with a good hard run (then I can have a treat and hopefully a nap later). I actually felt better at mile 9 than mile 4 - that's gotta be a good sign. I can't wait until it gets warm enough not run in so many layers and long tights. It just weighs me down. I was a little worried about doing so many miles in lightweight shoes - but they didn't disappoint. I'm loving my new shoes almost as much as I'm loving the fact that I burned over 1100 calories before 9:00 am!

No comments:

Post a Comment