Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Running Tag

Today's workout was a 9 mile run.  My legs are tired today so I only ran and skipped out on crossfit.  (P.S. This month I ran 162.5 miles - not too shabby).

I saw this running tag a while ago on HungryRunnerGirl's blog and I thought it looked fun.  I never had time to do it but today I finally got around to it.  Enjoy.


1.  On average how many races do you run a year?
4 or 5 normally.  But this year I am doing 9 or 10.  And it's wearing me out a bit.  Back in 2009 I set a goal to do a race a month and did 12 races that year which was also a bit overwhelming.  I think for me 4 is the perfect number of races.


Races I've done so far....
Boston Marathon- April 2013

Pink Series 5K - April 2013

Utah Valley Half Marathon - June 2013

Ragnar Relay - June 2013


2.  Head accessories, things you have to run with:  a hat, a visor, sunglasses, chapstick, sunscreen, head band, ponytail, braids, sweat band?
I'm at hat girl these days.  My hair is just so short.  I own lots of headbands and visors but with morning hair the hat is really the best option. I usually forget to wear sunscreen and I put chapstick on before a long run but I rarely carry it with me.





3.  Where do your workouts come from?  A training plan, a coach, whatever you feel like doing that day or what your training partner is doing that day?
I love training plans - really I love them.  I look online and read books and read articles then write them up on paper.  I have done so many different training plans over the years and have combined different ones and created my own.  Once I have my training plan down I schedule my weekly workouts in my calendar so that I always have it on my phone.  I might be slightly OCD when it comes to plans.  Right now I am following the SmartCoach plan from Runner's World. I really like the plan because I feel like it has pushed me to run faster while still working with my weekly mileage needs and current pace.


St George Marathon course map with my gu's, times, elevation change, etc.


4.  How many miles on average do you put on a pair of shoes?  
I have way too many running shoes and I usually rotate through 3-4 pair at a time.  I have a pair for speedwork a pair for running off roads and then a few pair for just runs.  I always wear my newest shoes on long runs.  I don't track exactly how many miles I put on each pair but I would guess 300-400 miles.


5.  Cell phone=  do you bring it with you on your run or leave it at home?
Always if I'm running alone and sometimes on group runs.  I bring my phone if I think I'm going to want to snap a picture mid-run or if my kids might need to call me.
You never know when you'll want to snap a pic.


6.  What was your last running related injury or have you been an injury free runner?
I am a pretty injury free runner - if you take out losing toe nails, blisters, falling and stuff like that.  I do a lot to prevent injuries.  I get deep tissue massage every other week during heavy training.  I do ice baths and advil and Udo's oil which all help me with recovery and I try really hard to listen to my body and stop before it's too bad. 

 




7.  Is your current running goal about running a farther distance (adding more mileage) or getting faster or BOTH?!?
Faster!

8.  Speedwork—->  at the track, on the treadmill, on the roads or never do it?
I do speedwork once a week on the treadmill.  I alternate between tempo runs and mile intervals and occasionally I will do HIIT workouts that I find online to mix it up.  



9.  Stretching after a run:  hit the ground after a run and get stretching, stretch in the shower, stretch once you get to work/school, skip the stretching?
I do a little bit of stretching right when I finish a run and if it's a really hard or long run I do an ice bath after.  I also love to use my roller or my stick at night for sore muscles. 





10.  What was your reason(S) for starting to run?  
 I started running in high school just because my sister ran.  Then I gave it up then I started again in college.  I have way more reasons for running now then I did then but really the main reason I started was because of Sherry.


Danny, Sherry and I - STG marathon 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment