Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Thanks for changing women's running!

The "Boston Incident" of 1967 was the spark that ignited the woman's running revolution. Kathrine Switzer went on to finish that 1967 Boston Marathon in 4 hours 20 minutes, despite being disqualified by Jock Semple. She was inspired by the incident, however, to go on to run 35 marathons, including 8 Boston Marathons, running a personal best in 1975 in 2 hours, 51 minutes, & winning the 1974 New York City Marathon. She also created the Avon International Running Circuit, a global series of women's running events in 25 countries, involving over one million women, & lead to the inclusion of the women's marathon in the Olympic Games. (from her website)

In 2009 I ran the inaugural Boston 5K and she was there and she said a few words before the 5K race.  What an inspirational moment in my running life. She and lots of other previous Boston marathon winners ran the race I was running.  I might have been beaten by tons of people twice my age but they are rock star runners and I was so excited to be running in the same event as them!!  I love that I share a name with her too - mine's spelled a little different but still it's a great name :)  


Thanks Kathrine for changing running for women!!

Today's workout:  taught spin (endurance hills) and did 360 fit.  Today was my first time to RX a workout (which means I did it with the recommended weight for women instead of less like I usually do).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment