Overall this year of running has to be the best ever. Running in the Boston Marathon was simply amazing and something I never thought I would do. To top that off I set PR's for my 5K, 10K, half and full marathon distances. I can't look back at 2013 and be sad. However, I also ended the year on a sad note with issues on both of my feet and not being able to run pain-free. I miss running so much and these injuries have helped me see just how much running means to me.
Top 10 Running moments of 2013:
1. Running the Boston Marathon with my brother and sister
2. Wasatch Back with the Housewives
3. Being a pink emissary
4. Setting a new PR for every distance race
5. Ragnar Trail - and trail running in general
6. Running the STG marathon in 3:32:00!!
7. Running the Disney Cruise 5K
8. Running 16 and 20 miles on the treadmill
9. Wearing pink for every run in October
10. Running with my new puppy
My 2013 goals:
My goals for 2013 seemed simple when I set them in January. However, I only completed 1 of the 3. Sad.
1. Run 1000 miles. This one I completed and then some. I ran 1588.80 miles this year. This is a big deal for several reasons. First, it's not an even number. I'm a bit OCD with stuff so that fact that I didn't force myself to run 1600 miles shows I'm a changed woman. Second, with my injury I barely ran in Nov and Dec - so to have this many miles is awesome.
2. Do a half-ironman. I didn't do a half-ironman because I signed up for the STG marathon and wanted to focus on that. I think I made the right decision and I'm glad I did because that race was amazing for me.
3. Do 2 unassisted pull-ups. I still can't do these. But I'm stronger than I was at the start of the year so I'm still happy with my progress.
I am so glad this year of races is over. I did more races this year than ever before. Here's the list:
April: Boston Marathon
April: Pink Series 5K (PR)
June: Utah Valley Half Marathon (PR)
June: Ragnar - Wasatch Back
July: Freedom Run 10K (PR)
August: Ragnar Trail Race
September: Disney 5K
October: St George Marathon (PR)
October: Pink Series Half Marathon
November: Snow Canyon Half Marathon (new PR)
November: Courage 4Kuu
Now onto 2014.....
2014 will be a very different year for me with running. This is the first time in more than 5 years that I haven't already been signed up for a race before the year starts. I don't even have any races planned out on my calendar. I'm going to be out of town during Wasatch Back so I'm not even doing that race (sad, sad, sad). I'm not sure what I want out of my running this year, except that I want to let my body rest and recover and simply get back to the fun part of running. I don't want to train as hard as I have the last 2 years - instead I want to try new things and have fun. Wish me luck - this is very hard for me. :)
My goals for 2014:
1. Run 1200 miles
2. Do 2 unassisted pull-ups
3. Compete in a new event (anything I haven't done before - distance or type)