Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All for a Pumpkin Bar

Today I decided to add about 20 extra minutes to my spin workout because I simply ate too much last night.  I really wanted a pumpkin bar - I just LOVE them!  

I'm a big fan of the whole exercise thing in order to enjoy my favorite treats.  I do try to eat healthy most of the time but as the holiday's are coming there will be lots of yummy treats around. Plus my favorite winter comfort foods are higher in calories. So...I have been thinking about what it takes to burn off the food I eat.  

I burn about 100 calories each mile I run.  If I eat 1 serving of a pumpkin bar (w/yummy cream cheese frosting) it's about 300 calories then I have to run 3 miles to burn it off.  Is it worth it?  Sometimes yes.  Sometimes no.  When I go to Cold Stone for a treat my calories add up fast.  Sweet Cream Love it: 530 + Oreo cookie mix in: 120 + Caramel: 90 = 740 calories total or 7 1/2 miles. WOW!  

Of course I can look it another way too.  On a typical week I burn between 3150 - 3550 calories.  So as long as I am smart about the majority of my meals I'm fine with date night treats and splurging once a week guilt free.  


Today's Workout - Cardio Circuit.

Set 1:  
Fast flat
Seated hill (high tension)
Standing hill sprint  

1 min. of each @ level 1 intensity (50%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 2 intensity (75%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 3 intensity (100%)
2 min. jumps @ level 3 intensity (100%)
1 min. rest

Set 2:
Sprint w/speed bursts
Isolations
Standing Run

1 min. of each @ level 1 intensity (50%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 2 intensity (75%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 3 intensity (100%)
2 min. hill sprints @ level 3 intensity (100%)
1 min. rest

Set 3:
Sprints - speeding up every 10 sec.
Seated hill - add tension every 10 sec.
Standing hill spring - less tension/more speed every 10 sec.

1 min. of each @ level 1 intensity (50%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 2 intensity (75%)
30 sec. rest
1 min. of each @ level 3 intensity (100%)
2 min. hill sprints @ level 3 intensity (100%)
1 min. rest

Then last minute I added about 4 more songs of hill sprints/seated hills/speed work just to burn off my calories and just went with the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment