I really don't like running on cold dark mornings (like today) but it's still better than the treadmill. The only thing that gets me out of my warm cozy bed at 5:30 in the morning is meeting my friends. This morning I talked one of them into meeting me 20 minutes early because I really wanted to run 7 miles instead of 5 (since I was a slacker on Saturday and only ran 5). Thank goodness for AMAZING friends who are willing to be crazy with me. Once I was done I was so glad I woke up early and got in the extra miles. I love the feeling of pushing a myself little harder. I just kept thinking about all the extra calories I ate yesterday at family dinner - that will always keep me going. Burn calories so I can eat food :)
It was extra cold this morning too - I had on a tank, long sleeved top and a jacket and didn't shed any of my layers. Usually about 1/2 mile in my jacket is tied around my waist. I think my shower was almost 20 minutes while I tried to warm up. I ended up with the water as hot as it would go scalding my skin but I was still cold until I wrapped up in my fluffy robe and was blow drying my hair - that's when I finally felt warm again.
Thursday, February 24, 2011
- For my sanity. Really it's amazing how much cheaper it is to run than to take meds or have a therapist.
- Friendship. The girls I run with are my closest friends and running is something that creates ties with people - neighbors, co-workers, church friends, people at the store, anyone. People who run love to talk to each other.
- So I can eat. I enjoy food and now that I'm a mom of 4 and getting older I can't eat whatever I want anymore unless I put in the miles.
- The challenge. I love pushing my body a little bit more.
- To be an example. I want my kids to see me living an active life. I love coming home and having them say "you go running mama?"
- The Scenery. I love running outside and I live in the most amazing area. It is simply breathtaking. The mountains, the trails, the rivers, the sky, etc.
- The music. There is no way that at my age I could still listen to so much top 40 teeny bopper music without people thinking I'm crazy if it wasn't for running.
- My health. I feel better, sleep better, and I know I'll live longer because of running.
- To control my hormones. I'm in a much better place emotionally when I run. Yes my hubby has said "maybe you should go running" if I am crying or mad for no reason (which means it's hormonal).
- For FUN! I really have learned to love running. I used to run because of the other 9 reasons but now sometimes I want to run just because I love it.